Monday, February 2, 2009

The world of fairy tales

I can't quite remember what blog I was reading late last week, but they posted about a children's illustrator named Kinuko Craft. When I browsed through the photos on that blog, I realized that I actually had some of the artist's illustrations on some fairy stationery that I had bought a few years ago.

With my mind on fairy tales, I had put some of her children's books on hold this morning at one of the libraries near my work. My aunt and I carpool to work so she was kind enough to indulge my book craziness by stopping by the library so I could pick up the books I had put on hold when she picked me up this evening.



While I was waiting to bid on some items on eBay, I read the three books I had checked out from the library. I love the illustrations, Ms. Craft is amazing. They have a few galleries on her website that sell her oil paintings!!! What I wouldn't give to have one, but they are quite expensive. Though I won't begrudge the price of them, they are exquisite. Just to see one in person would be enough for me.

Ms. Craft is definitely a Renaissance-woman in the modern world with her delicate details. Her depictions of fabrics remind me of Bronzino's portraits and many of the other master painters of Renaissance with the way they could capture the look of fabrics. I was always amazed at how life-like they looked, it definitely made you think you could reach out and touch them. .....LOL Sorry, geekiness..... ;)

(sigh) I can't wait to get the other books I had put on hold by Ms. Craft.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with appreciating good art! I remember going to museums as a little girl and looking at sculpures and art. I would never had that opportunity without the school sponsoring those trips. When you are little you just stand in awe and look in amazement! I still do the same thing when I look at art. I just stand in awe! It's a feeling that keeps repeating itself through the years. A wonderful feeling indeed.

    ReplyDelete