Thursday, February 12, 2009

An exhausting weekend!!!

What did I get accomplished this weekend? Very little in 48 hours that’s for sure. I had the bright idea of going shopping at the mall on Saturday to look for some clothes for work. I’ve never had a job before where I had to dress up and look professional. Working both as an archaeologist and then a bookseller required jeans and a t-shirt, nothing fancy so I’m in a whole new realm of clothing options for my current job.

I spent a couple of hours going between the various shops in our mall looking at blouses, button down shirts, etc. with no luck at all either because the sizes were too small or the prices were too expensive for one item of clothing. I will never understand how the fashion industry ‘sizes’ their clothing; they must assume that every woman in America ranges between 0-6 because I couldn’t seem to find anything that would fit me. I’m plus-sized up top, but petite on the rest of my body so finding shirts that fit nicely is a hassle.

My sister had told me the day before that JCPenny’s was having a sale throughout the store and I lucked out on finding a cute top and several bead necklaces. Miraculously the blouse actually fit without making me look larger on top and was reasonably priced at $19.99 when it is normally $36.

When my sister got out of work, we went back to the mall to look for a nice Oxford shirt for her and couldn’t find anything out of the 20+ clothing stores in the mall. You would think that a white Oxford shirt would be a standard in every store, but apparently not. We did see some adorable cardigans at the Gap, but they were $40?!?!? All that for a brand name piece of clothing! Highway robbery!!

My sister has been reading John Adams after seeing the HBO miniseries of the same name. She and I both inherited our love of history from our mother so if we aren’t reading fiction novels we are reading something historical. She was reading Saturday night and suddenly stopped and interrupted my cross-stitching by saying, “Wouldn’t it be neat if the fashion industry went back to dresses from the colonial America period?” LOL Yes, it would, but talk about expensive clothing! (sigh) Well, the history/period drama geeks in the world can only dream ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment