Saturday, February 21, 2009

Historical shojo romance!

I have been keeping an eye on eBay for a couple of years for these books to come up for sale! They came up recently and I was bidding like crazy to get them for my book collection!


Rose of Versailles (Berusaiyu no Bara) by Riyoko Ikeda was written between 1972-73. The story is the fictional story of Marie Antoinette and Oscar François de Jarjayes, one of her personal guards.

The first two volumes of this series was published in North America by Frederik L. Schodt in 1981. They were the first 'translated' manga volumes by the U.S. branch of Sanyusha. Interestingly enough, they only translated the first two volumes so the manga is incomplete in English. Fans of Riyoko Ikeda's works can only hope that her manga series will be eventually published by an U.S. company in the future.

Luckily, you can still get the manga from Amazon.ca and Amazon.fr because the manga was published in French! You might be able to find used copies of the anime in France, but they lack English subtitles. My French isn't good enough to watch them!

Yes, I know.....extreme geekiness!

2 comments:

  1. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but I've never been on ebay, mostly because I think I'd lose control and buy way too much stuff. I cannot walk into a book store without buying something.
    But....there are a bunch of out of print books I really would love to own. You are sending me into the path of temptation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAN I ASK HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THEM?
    THANKS...

    ReplyDelete