Monday, February 23, 2009

Stitching update!

I'm sure everyone is sick and tired of hearing about books for the moment so I will try not to mention them in this post....if I digress, please forgive me ;)

First off, I just finished the Eau block of my Elements sampler! Tomorrow I will be backstitching areas around the whole sampler that I decided to wait to do until the end. Hopefully, I can get all of that finished tomorrow so I can finish up the Feu block during the rest of the week. Remember how I mentioned being sick in November with crazy head colds? Well, I stopped working on the last couple of motifs in that block so now I have to go back to them!! (sigh) Oh, well....I have to tackle the dragon sooner or later!


Sorry about the blurry photo!

Second of all, thanks to Ms. Ingrid for her comments on my ramblings about books! LOL And there I go talking about books....sorry O_o" To answer your question, where do I keep them all? I have a storage unit for them. When I read a whole bunch of books, I pack them up and store them away until I have a nice, big house/apt to display them all. My book collection always reminds me of the scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast when Belle is gliding across the bookstore in town! LOL Everytime I see the scene when the Beast shows her the library at his castle, I want that library!!! Gliding ladders and books up to the ceiling is definitely my idea of geeky heaven!

Right now, my bookshelves contain books on art history, history, various classics in literature, and some of the antique books I have purchased. LOL One shelf is devoted to books I have bought, but haven't read yet. I have a bad habit of doing that....but I hope to get better at finishing more of them before buying again!

Where do I buy my books from?

1. eBay = great source for obscure titles and classics that are no longer in print
2. Amazon = I have a love/hate relationship with this site, I always come away with too many books, especially when I was just looking for one title (see previous posts!)
3. The Mad Sampler Company = an online family-owned book company that deals in new and used craft books! You never know what they are going to find to put up for sale :)
4. Rose Tree Crafts = an eBay store that I love! The lady that owes this store deals in Japanese craft books! The great thing about Japanese craft books is the fact that are very well illustrated so even if you can't read the text, you can follow along easily!

Ms. Ingrid also wanted a link to the Huntsville Museum of Art. The museum is in Huntsville, Alabama, which is at the top of the state. The city of Mobile where I live is located at the bottom of the state so planning a trip to see friends and the museums in Huntsville is an ordeal. My sister and I usually take a few days off from work and drive up that way so we have time to enjoy ourselves.

Here is the schedule for the Royal Holloway Victorian painting exhibition. I checked to see if there were any museums showing the exhibit remotely close to Ms. Ingrid in Ontario, Canada and the Yale Center for British Art, Yale University (New Haven, CT) from May 7-July 26 is the closest that the exhibition is going to get to Canada.

Enough rambling for the night, I hope to have a photo of my sampler later this week if my stitching timeline goes according to plan!

Happy Stitching everyone :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your ramblings about books and that is why I keep coming back. I like your stitching too but please don't stop rambling.
    I too have piles of books everywhere. Once a year my husband suggests I give some away and then when I do, I almost always regret it, because I need to refer to that book! I've always dreamed of having a library with shelves around the whole room. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete