Monday, March 9, 2009

First finish of 2009!

I finished The Bookshelf metallic thread stitches over the weekend. It took me quite a while to finish them, even though there were only a few of those stitches on the spines of the books. (sigh) I still dislike metallic thread. I went with Joei’s advice about cutting the threads short and none of the threads broke, but I still had crazy thread ends. Instead of two threads going through the needle-eye to make a loop at the back, I had four because the ends were coming apart?!


Design: Little House Needleworks, The Bookshelf
Thread: DMC colors
Fabric: 28 ct Cashel Zweigart
Finished: 4 weeks, 1 day


My aunt still insists on beeswax, but I’m not sure if it’s entirely safe for linen or the stitches.

I think I might frame this design myself. Someone on BeckyBee’s website had asked her how she framed hers and she talked about a technique called lacing. I wonder if that’s the technique I’ve seen at the back of a British cross-stitch magazine in their how-to section on framing. It seems easy enough as long as you have centered the design correctly on your board. Hmm….I wonder what type of board you should use? Archival perhaps so it doesn’t fox and destroy the fabric many years from now?

I am still working on the edges of my Elements sampler. I think it will go faster once I get in the groove of stitching it.

In other news, I cracked my tooth over the weekend and how to go to the dentist tomorrow O_o” I think I might need a root canal, but I’ll see what the dentist says at the appt. If it is indeed a root canal, he has to refer me to someone else because he doesn’t do those types of procedures. (Sigh) My wallet is going to weep when it sees the bill for the root canal, but I guess I should count myself lucky because I have insurance for once. All my other jobs, I was either a student or a temporary, neither of which had the benefit of insurance.

I hope everyone is having a lovely week!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Rachel :) It looks GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work!
    I just found some metallic embroidery thread from France today and was very excited about that. It shimmers and glows in a way that regular embroidery thread does not. I'll use your tip to keep the threads short.

    ReplyDelete