Saturday, March 7, 2009

Antique books!

As I promised, pictures of Rosaline Woodbridge! When I got home today, a book that I purchased on eBay had come in the mail so I have pictures of that as well ^___^


Rosaline Woodbridge published in 1827. This version, I think, is a half-calf bookbinding. Only the spine and the corners of the book are bound in calfskin.

Isn't it beautiful? In one of my posts last month, I mentioned that I was looking for Rosaline Woodbridge: or A Midnight Visit by Hannah Maria Jones. This book was mentioned in one of my favorite Japanese animation series, Victorian Romance Emma. After a mad search online, I found several booksellers that had this book, but it was extremely expensive at $600 or more so I decided to see if I could interlibrary loan it :) A friend of mine who is a librarian at my undergrad university was able to find this book and loan it in from the University of Chicago library!


The cover is made of marble board. It was a common technique for bookbinding, which imitates the look of mottles and veins in marble.


Marbling on the book edges. I have never seen this technique on the book edges before O_o"


The frontispiece of this printing of Rosaline. I love how the title of the book is decorated with penmanship spirals/curlicues. During the 19th century, students practiced their handwriting by making pictures out of their various letter strokes. I have to say that it is perfect around the title of this book.


Another frontispiece opposite of the title page, illustrating one of the scenes from the book.


The crest of the University of Chicago's library. I want to visit this library one day just to ogle all of their old books. It makes me miss the Founder's library on Royal Holloway's campus! Nothing can beat the smell of old books ^___^

Double Cross by Anthony Hope, published in 1903.


As you know if you've read enough of my blog that I love Anthony Hope books. He wrote The Prisoner of Zenda in 1894. I read it while I was still working as a bookseller and fell in love with his stories. I found Double Cross on eBay and bought it for $5.





I was researching Anthony Hope's various titles online and I found something interesting. Apparently there was a series of his books published called The Works of Sir Anthony Hope Hawkins. I found that set online......it was going for $3,000!!! Of course it was 33 volumes, but still that is a lot of money. I don't have a money tree in my backyard, unfortunately, so I could never buy the set. My next best option is slowly to buy all his books since they are quite cheap on eBay, ranging between $3-20, which is cheaper than the reprints from publishers today ;)

I hope all my fellow booklovers enjoyed this post ^___^ Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your photos. I'm amazed that U of Chicago would allow such an old and fragile book to go out on interlibrary loan.
    At the University of Toronto, there is a beautiful rare book library where you can view old books like that, but they make you wear white gloves and rest the book on a titled platform. They treat the book like real treasures.
    Enjoy your loan and count yourself lucky to have a librarian as your friend!

    ReplyDelete