Thursday, March 5, 2009

Darn metallics!

I finished up my Elements sampler this morning before going to work. Now I have the border to work on.

I thought tonight I would finish up my Bookshelf design by stitching the metallic bits on the book spines, but I was wrong.

I must admit that I'm a bit confused. The thread breaks easily and when I pull one thread out, it splits into 'two' threads?!?! Am I supposed to use those two threads or just one?!?!?

Egads! I didn't think it would be this hard to use metallics. Does anyone have any advice on using metallics? How many threads should I be using? I read about a device called Thread Heaven that helps with metallics. Is it worth it to buy one?

In other news, my ILL loan has come in!!!! Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow or maybe Saturday!! I can't wait to read it.

1 comment:

  1. I usually use one strand of short length. You are right, mettalic thread tends to fray faster than cotton or silk so try using short lengths.
    I don't use thread haven (don't have the patience to condition the thread before using and no time at all besides I don't like the idea, lol!) You can also try Rainbow Gallery or Kreinik. I find them much nicer to use than DMC.

    ReplyDelete