Saturday, October 22, 2011

Geekiness

This morning I got up early to run some errands. I had to go by the post office to mail off two Halloween packages. One to my friend Amanda (Crystal Panda blog) in sunny California and the other to my friend Constance in New Zealand. I always wonder if there is a cheaper to ship internationally, but I don't think so, which is a pity.

After that I ran by storage to liberate our Halloween decorations from their yearly exile. I plan on going by storage on the weekend after Halloween to get the Christmas items out of exile. No, I won't be displaying them early, but at least I'll have them on hand to decorate after Thanksgiving instead of procrastinating about it :)

I was driving back home when I decided to stop by my local BAM bookstore to browse the shelves and see what's new in the magazine section.

Of course, I never seem to be able to leave the store without purchasing something even if it's just a mocha frappuccino!



I came away with the newest issues of Discover Britain (formerly known as Realm), The English Home, a craft book on Alice in Wonderland called Everything Alice, and a fairy tale fantasy novel called The Stepsister Scheme.

I can't even begin to tell you where I saw Everything Alice. I think it was in the UK craft magazine Mollie Makes and I was hoping a company in the US would publish it so I wouldn't have to order it from Amazon.uk. I saw the book The Stepsister Scheme recommended on a wonderful blog that I read called Fairy Layers. Her blog is full of fun posts on fairy tale adaptations in modern culture, whether it be film or literature. The only bad thing is that I always want to read what she's written about and my local library branches never seem to have the titles she recommends! (sigh)

This afternoon I went with my mother across the bay to the Eastern Shore Center. I bought a cupcake stencil kit at Williams-Sonoma and some more book goodies at Barnes and Noble. I can't tell you how much I miss having a Barnes and Noble store in Mobile. I like BAM, but it just doesn't have the same selection or feel as BN.



I bought the newest issue of Homestyle Sewing and Mollie Makes. (I really need to get a subscription to the latter magazine as it always has great ideas and lovely freebies!) I also got the second book in the Vampire Empire series.

Well, I'm off to get some sort of laundry accomplished today!

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment