Saturday, June 30, 2012

June Monthly Recap

Recap:

Read:
1. The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett
2. Just Patty by Jean Webster
3. When Patty Goes to College by Jean Webster
4. The Next Full Moon by Carolyn Turgeon
5. Rubert of Hentzau by Anthony Hope
6. Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the U'bervilles by Kim Newman
7. Courtship and Curses by Marissa Doyle
8. The Jewel of the Seven Stars by Bram Stoker (1903/1912, revised version of book and the original ending)
9. Farewell My Concubine by Lilian Lee
10. Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahato by Colin Odell and Michelle Le Blanc
11. Cuore (Heart): An Italian Schoolboy's Journal by Edmonds De Amicis
12. Jerry by Jean Webster
13. King Solomon's Mines by Henry Rider Haggard

Stitching:
1. Started Peace Sampler by Carol Emmer

Crafts:
Lots of polymer clay
1. Cake
2. Lollipop
3. Two onigiri
4. Three bubble teas
5. Bunny sushi
6. Two tofu cubes
7. Two robots

A productive month with lots of polymer clay charms and reading through many books. Did I tell you that I have a Kindle? Yes, I know. I can hear the groans in the audience. A bookworm has converted to a Kindle! But no, that isn't the case. My sister's friend gave her a Kindle for Christmas, but she absolutely refuses to use it. She asked me if I wanted to have it as I was thinking of getting one. I use mine to read OOP/hard to find classic titles that my local library doesn't have. And the best part is the price.........absolutely FREE as they are old enough to be in the public domain.

With the copy of The Shuttle, it is still being printed today. I actually have a physical copy of the book, but the print was so small when I received the copy in the mail that I was glad to find an electronic version of it to read on my Kindle. If you love Frances Hodgson Burnett and haven't had the chance to read The Shuttle, I recommend it a thousand times over. It is a fantastic read.

I think the geekiest read over the month was The Hound of the U'bervilles by Mr. Newman. It is a parody of the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels from the point of view of Professor Moriarty and his henchman Captain Moran.

The only disappointing part of the book is the fact that I don't think normal readers would enjoy the story and humor of the book if they haven't read the Holmes Canon or any other 19th century stories that were parodized in the book. Some titles include The Prisoner of Zenda, The Jewel of Seven Stars, and others. I did like the fact that after reading the book I wanted to read some of the other titles that were parodized as in The Jewel of Seven Stars.

Goals for July: more charms, which I hope to add to my Etsy shop. And hopefully making more progress on the Peace Sampler.

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment