Monday, December 26, 2011

Get Thee To The Store, Post Haste!

Good morning everyone! I hope you guys and girls enjoyed your holidays with your family and friends. Yesterday, we had Christmas breakfast, cooking courtesy of Aunt Snowbird, and then exchanged gifts with her family before heading back to our house to exchange gifts amongst ourselves.

The gift that stole the show was the Keurig coffee brewer that my mother had bought for my aunt and her husband as a combined gift. I ended up trying the hot chocolate (yum!), my uncle tried the apple cider, and my mother had one of the coffee varieties included with the brewer.

It is a great gift for anyone who just wants to enjoy a cup of coffee, one at a time, instead of constantly brewing a pot of coffee only to throw out the majority of it after only two cups. I'm quite glad I don't have one....I would be drinking hot chocolate all the time ;)

This morning I got up early to head to Target to buy some wrapping paper, bags, bows, and gift card holders for next year's Christmas. Between both households, we recycle gift bags constantly back and forth throughout the year for holidays and birthdays, but we actually ran low on gift bags this year so a trip to Target was in order. *I also had my eye on a set of Wilton baking tins.* >__<

I arrived at the store and wasn't really surprised to see a mass of people waiting outside the doors despite the dismal weather. I waited until the store opened before getting out of my car. Alas, no baking tins for me. Target had them all holiday season, a lovely set of mini loaf baking tins, and I was hoping to get them on sale after the holiday, but no luck there. I did, however, buy a cute set of star shaped Wilton baking tins.

Now I can understand buying armload of bags, bows, etc. for Christmas, especially if you are low on supplies for next year, but I really think that holiday sales make people into hoarders to a certain extent.

While in the front of the store in the candy/food gifts, I watched a lady grab armfuls of Reynolds aluminum foil off the shelf and put it in her cart. I think by the time she was done she had about 20 or 30 boxes of foil. You can't tell me she's going to use all that in a year unless she has a restaurant business of some sort. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say maybe she'll give some of it away to other family members or a church pantry.

I can understand people stocking up on the plastic cups, napkins, and paper towel rolls as you can use those year around and most likely deplete your stock in a couple of months depending on how often you use those items, but aluminum foil?!?!?!

Has 'after holiday' sales made hoarders out of consumers? What do you think?

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment