Monday, March 26, 2012

Resin Experiment

Yesterday morning after I finished reading The Hunger Games, I decided since it was lovely weather outside that I would experiment with some Easy Cast resin that I bought at Hobby Lobby a while ago.

What a disaster!

1. While mixing my resin I accidentally knocked over the cup and poured resin in my mold.
2. Starting with a new mold, I poured too much in each mold because of how fast the liquid came out of the cup. I had to use a spoon to scoop some of the resin out of each mold.
3. Letting the resin get tacky, I left out my cup of resin for the next layer. It hardened completely!
4. Due to the spilled resin (see #1), my ice cube tray stuck to the wax paper.

So yes, quite an eventful morning!

But after curing the resins overnight, I got these results this morning.



Since this was my first experiment using the Easy Cast resin, I didn't go further with other layers in the mold, I poured only one layer. I waited about an hour and half for the layers to get tacky before adding stickers.

So researching this morning for troubleshooting on using Easy Cast resins, I found out why my resins still set up correctly despite spilling some of the contents while stirring. Apparently if you mix a large batch of resin, you don't have to measure exactly. If you make a smaller batch, the measurements must be exact.

Silly me! I only wanted a small batch of resin, but I poured 3oz of each mixture out in the cups......and so the resins set up correctly!

I also found out why my resins came out cloudy. When you stir your mixtures together, you must stir for two minutes and transfer the mixture to a new cup and continue to stir until the mixture becomes clear. I was so flustered by knocking over my cup that I neglected to stir completely.

Despite all my mishaps, I hope to experiment with resin charms again in the future! I just have to wait for another weekend of nice weather!

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment