Monday, January 11, 2010

Return to Cranford

Last night, my aunt and I sat down to watch the first half of Return to Cranford only to find that our local public television station wasn't working properly. We sat for about ten minutes waiting for the volume to work and then ran around the house seeing if the same was true for the other televisions in the house.

I was so glad to hear that pbs.org has the first episode of the show available to view online! I just got finished watching it.

Change has finally come to the small town of Cranford with the arrival of the railway. Despite the ups and downs of deciding on what is best for Cranford, the ladies of Cranford are comical as ever.

My favorite scene happens with the arrival of Mr. Peter Jenkyns, Miss Matty's brother, from his travels abroad. He brings back all matter of exotic items including a tiger rug and a parrot! Of course, with Miss Matty taking care of Martha's baby such things are a bit of risk around a child so they are given away.

Mr. Jenkyns gives his parrot to Miss Octavia Pole (Imelda Staunton). She is advised by her neighbor to purchase a cage from Paris. She entirely misunderstands and purchases a crinoline dress cage! LOL It was the funniest thing to see Miss Pole put the cage outside on a peg to show off her parrot and then run inside her house when she finds out that it is an undergarment by the town's shopkeeper!

Hopefully, this Sunday night I will be able to see the conclusion of the Return to Cranford without any problems!

The rest of the Masterpiece Classic 2010 season looks great! I can't wait to see the newest adaptation of Emma and the encore presentations of Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. The Diary of Anne Frank and Small Island look promising as well. I wish I knew more about the Sharpe films. One of these days, I'll have to watch that series :)

Until next time ^___^

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year dear Rachel!!!!

    Your 4 Saisons is coming along nicely. Made me remember my Elements which I have not stitched for so long, awww!

    ReplyDelete