Saturday, October 24, 2009

Surprise birthday!

My family and I took a trip to Uriah, AL last Saturday to surprise our great-aunt as her 86th birthday was earlier that week. If you've ever had the pleasure of driving through Uriah, you will know that is mostly farmland and cotton fields.

My grandmother's family were sharecroppers. Their father bought 60 acres of land during the Great Depression for $900.00. Today the land is rented out to farmers by my great-aunt and uncle. The land is used for cotton crops.


A view of the cotton fields. The cotton hasn't fully blossomed yet, but it is lovely when all of it is open.


Close-up of the cotton rows.

Despite the cold windy weather, my sister, cousin, and I walked down to a pond that our great-aunt's son built about a half a mile behind the house.


View of the goldenrods while walking to the pond.


View of the pond.


Another view of pond.

Coming back to the house, we watched our great-aunt open her gift from all of us. My aunts and mother picked out a lovely ruby and opal pendant for her birthday.

We sung happy birthday and had the cake that my sister had made for our great-aunt.


Birthday cake


View of inside with strawberry filling.

My sister has never been fond of butter cream frosting so she made a whipped cream icing for the cake. The inside of the cake was made of vanilla cake filled with strawberry between the layers. My sister decorated the top of the cake with roses and a chrysanthemum with the words, "Happy Birthday to that Young'un," which is a pleasant memory for our great-aunt. As she was the youngest in the family, everyone would call her 'young-un.'

Later on my aunt, cousin, and I decided to go outside and pick pecans from the tree behind the house.


View of the pecan tree.


The fields as the sun was setting before we left back for Mobile.

I hope we will get back to Uriah soon before the end of the year. I hope to make something yummy from the pecans that we gathered and bring it to my great-aunt and uncle.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment