Saturday, October 17, 2009

Antique Finds

My sister and I just got back from a local antique show at the Abba Temple in town. We saw a lot of amazing furniture and depression glass. I found two things that I came away with....not jewelry since my dealers weren't at the antique show, but some things that I couldn't resist and were very neat.

The needlework ladies/gents in my audience will love these photos!


An antique needlework made of quilting pieces, lace and ribbon!


The piece is decorated with pale blue ribbon which matches the lovely feather stitches on the edges of the needlebook.


Ribbon undone....


....to reveal pins.


Close-up of pins.

Does anyone know what this little needlebook dates to? I thought maybe the size of the pearl pins would be a clue perhaps. The dealer I bought the needlebook from said that she bought it from someone in Mississippi. I was thinking the book dates to maybe the 40s or 50s, but I'm no expert.

My other find for the day was an antique book dated from 1889 called Young Days, which is a collection of articles for children.


Front cover


Back cover


Title illustration


Date and publisher


Owner's signature: Mary Madden

There are some interesting articles in the book. Subjects like Queen Victoria, fairy tales, and the far off lands of Constantinople and Japan, with the city of Tokyo spelled 'Tokio.'

I'll post later with other pics from today. My family and I are going to visit my great-aunt in Uriah, AL. She had her 86th birthday earlier in the week so we are going to celebrate with a homemade cake decorated by my sister and a lovely bouquet of flowers.

Until next time! ^____^ (The temperatures today are in the 60s-70s. It seems cold for us since we have had temps in the 80s lately, but it's great to have Fall weather finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment