Saturday, October 24, 2009

Haunted Oakleigh

Last night my friends and I went to the Oakleigh Period House Museum in downtown Mobile. For the last couple of nights, Oakleigh has been open from 6-9pm for 'Haunted' Oakleigh.


Picture from Oakleigh's website mentioned above.


We weren't allowed to take photographs inside the plantation, but I took a picture of my ticket before I had to give it back to the tour guide.


Our guide, Marie.

While being led through each room of the house by a tour guide dressed in period costume, we were told ghost stories pertaining to the house. Rooms usually had someone inside or outside the room's window ready to scream at us or bang the windows to frighten us.

Is it bad that I was more interested in the ghost stories themselves and not the theatricals? I noticed in the children's room upstairs an antique sampler on the wall. I haven't been to Oakleigh since I was in middle school and I would love to go through the house during its regular hours to see everything properly. ESPECIALLY that sampler as I have never seen a historical sampler from Mobile.


People waiting outside for tours to begin.



A picture of the front of the house. It isn't the best photo as I really needed a tripod to get a non-blurry picture. As my friend and I were taking photos of the front of the house, one of the volunteers dressed as a zombie was trying to sneak up on us. I'm glad we survived his onslaughter and weren't hurt for taken our photos ;)

All in all, my friends and I had a great time at the Oakleigh house. The volunteers were very knowledgeable and told their ghost stories well. I think my friends and I will definitely make this an annual trip during the fall.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment