Saturday, October 24, 2009

Old friends, new friends

This morning I woke up early or rather my brain woke me up at 7:30 despite the fact that it is clearly a Saturday. I went by the post office to mail off some packages across the pond and then took a trip to my local library to look for some books to read.

The West Regional branch of my local library has a new exhibition upstairs called the Art of Reading, which features local artists' interpretations on the theme. My favorites were two photographs, one with a close up of a book spine entitled The Art of Wisdom and another with a view of the Library of Congress' pillars, titled Pillars of Knowledge.

Sadly, as much as I loved the various artworks, I was disappointed to see that a good majority of artists were ones that I normally see at the city's museums when they have an exhibition on local art. I was hoping that the younger audiences would have had a bigger part to play in the library's exhibition as a good percentage of patrons to libraries are parents and their children.

Despite all that, I came away with some books that I will start after I finish reading Emily Moreland: Maid of the Valley by the same authoress who wrote Rosaline Woodbridge: The Midnight Visit. I will have to take some photos of the book before I return it later this week. The book is in excellent condition for its age, one hundred and eighty years old.

I picked up some old friends at the library,



and some new friends,



As a child, one of my favorite series were the American Girl books. My sister and I devoured all the girls' stories that were out at the time. My favorites were Molly and Samantha. As I'm still a kid at heart, I picked up several new series today at the library, those of Kaya, Abby, and Josephine. Late in August, I bought the Molly series for my cousin Emily's birthday. Her mother said that she read them in no time at all ;)

While in middle school and high school, I started reading classics in addition to fiction titles. I loved reading the Everyman's Library editions of those books. There was something so special about those cloth covers. Even now when I see them on the shelves of my local library I smile.

I also picked up The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. I started reading it in Egham, but never got around to finishing it. I was hoping to pick up Dracula: The Un-dead, but all the copies were checked out :*( I'll have to wait until next time.

Have a great weekend!

P.S. I won't be stitching any new until I've finished reading Emily Moreland, but no fear, I'll have something stitched up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment