Friday, May 21, 2010

Valiant effort

For an online book club, I've been trying to read Cotillion by Georgette Heyer. After eighty pages of excessive use of slang, I can't go any further. Mrs. Heyer's use of Regency slang bogs down the plot of the book. The novel's heroine Kitty marries Freddy by the end of the novel, but after reading eighty pages of his flippant comments, I can't think how the author made them to be a decent couple by the end of the book.

I really wish I could get into Heyer's writing style as I see her books discussed on a number of blogs, but her style is cringe-worthy to say the least. Well, at least, I've read one of her books.

I'm off to my bookshelves to pick something else to read.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment