Thursday, July 10, 2008

The book-buying bug (Yikes) and some slow stitching O_o"

Wednesday was a good day at work. I received a craft book that I've been waiting on for a while. Sew Pretty Christmas Homestyle ;)


(Sigh) It makes me giddy just looking at the cover of this book!

I would love to try some of the projects in this book. The designer Tone Finnanger has some gorgeous patterns and great gift ideas. I especially love her pattern for the 'muffin' pincushions, which are actually what I would call cupcakes, and then her pattern for apples! Her previous book Sew Pretty Homestyle had lovely patterns for pears and strawberries :)

LOL I just need a certain lovely aunt to make a craft room so I can sew some patterns together. You know who you are!! *hint hint* ^__^

Since the book-buying bug had caught me on Wednesday, I also purchased A Dictionary of Victorian London, Be With You, and Socrates in Love. The last two books are translations of two successful Japanese novels that I've wanted to read. They are considered to be in the genre of 'pure love.'

Be With You is about a man whose wife has died and he is left to continue on and take care of their young son. His wife miraculously comes back to life, but she doesn't remember anything of her previous life with her husband or son. They get a second chance to fall in love before the rainy season ends and she has to leave. Socrates in Love tells the story of a young man who falls in love with a popular girl. Despite their growing relationship with one another, both of them have to deal with the fact that she is ill with leukemia.

Both of the books were bestsellers in Japan, which in turn speared on manga, anime, or television/movie versions of the books. I can't wait to read them....though I might be in for some tears in the end.

A Dictionary of Victorian London is fun. I love anything to do with the history of England so I ordered this book into the store on a whim. I'm glad I did! It is an A-Z dictionary that has various words, events, etc. described not by an comtemporary author, but through articles, letters, etc. written by people who lived during the period. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Victorian England. LOL It will definitely help the next time I need a definition while reading a Victorian novel ;)

On to other news besides the ever-ending greed of the book-buying bug!

I meant to put up a pic of the progress on my '4 Seasons' sampler by Anagram Diffusion, but sadly I haven't....shame on me. But it is in some serious need of ironing just to get the wrinkles out so it will have to wait until later.

But despite no pics of the sampler, I started on one of the patterns out of the Gift of Stitching magazine. It is for an Icelandic-style biscornu.


It looks so nice....

...but in truth, it's very slow stitching. The pattern calls for Victorian red 28 ct linen. LOL Of course, none of the stores in town carry that linen except for two of my local needlework shops, which are an hour and half away. So I had to use 14 ct red Aida.....and let me tell you....insanity.

I've gotten so used to working on linen by Zweigart (when I can find that brand) or others that I've forgotten how slow it can be to stitch on Aida fabric. LOL Especially if you are stitching with 'one thread.'

(Sigh) I think my aunt is right. She said that it sounded like being used to knitting with very nice woolen yarn and going back to acrylic yarn. LOL I guess crafters do have similar grievances when it comes to quality. I have nothing against Aida fabric or the stitchers who love it, but I've been spoiled using linen and my stitching is too slow.

So in short (LOL), I probably won't have this biscornu finished anytime soon. Maybe early next week if I'm lucky with time.

Thanks for visiting, reading my ramblings, and perhaps understanding my 'grievances'! Happy stitching :)

1 comment:

  1. Patience little "wandering bunny" and the craft room will come together. I've had to sit back and relax this weekend as it has been mayhem. And you know what I mean. Love your new crafting books and especially the fabric fruits.

    ReplyDelete