Saturday, July 25, 2009

Book Review ~ Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Hi, everyone! I hope you're having a great weekend so far. While watching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince trailers, I noticed an interesting one for a movie called Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. Later in the week, while at my local bookstore, I happened to pick up the book by Rick Riordan.

Quite a fun read, if I do say so myself. I haven't read a kids' intermediate series book in a long time, I'd forgotten how much I love sitting down and reading them ^___^

The story revolves around the adventures of a twelve-year old boy named Percy Jackson, a troublemaker whose been kicked out of several schools for starting fights and having extremely poor grades. Things take a dramatic change when Percy is attacked by a Fury at school! He destroys it with a sword given to him by his Latin teacher Mr. Brunner. Strangely enough no one believes Percy's story after it happens including his teacher! Percy is expelled for a horrible grade in his Latin class, LOL (because killing a Fury in front of his fellow students doesn't count)!

So begins the events that will lead him to Half-Blood Hill Camp, a summer camp for half-bloods or demi-gods. He finds out that his teacher Mr. Brunner is actually Chiron and his friend Grover is a satyr! That's only the beginning of Percy's story, it turns out that he is the son of Poseidon and he has unknowingly started a war between his father and Zeus. He goes on a quest with his friends Grover and Annabeth (daughter of Athena) to prove that he isn't the thief who stole Zeus' lightning bolt.

I have to say that I enjoyed this book. A modern twist on the Olympians, I especially loved Charon's addiction to Italian suits ^__^

I can't wait to see the movie for this book in 2010. It is directed by Chris Columbus who also directed the first two Harry Potter movies.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment