Thursday, November 28, 2013

Sherlock Geeky Treasure Find!


Last weekend I went by Meg's Books on Moffett Road. I hadn't been by there in a while and thought I'd go by to browse and see what I could find amongst the stacks. And hark! what did I find but a copy of Eve Titus' Basil of Baker Street. I've been hoping to find a copy of this book in one of the used bookstores in town, but hadn't any luck until now.

Eve Titus was a children's author in the mid-20th century. The first book in her Basil series was published in 1958. It continued with four more books that ended with Basil in the Wild West in 1982.

As you can tell from the picture, Basil of Baker Street was the basis for Disney's Great Mouse Detective (one of my faves!). I remember watching it as a kid, but never realized until I was older that is was based on Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series.

The books feature the black and white illustrations of Paul Galdone in a beautiful soft style.


The style of illustration reminds of one of my favorite children's series growing up, the Redwall series of books written by Brian Jacques.

Perhaps one day I'll be able to find all the Basil series of books! It would be lovely to own an original!

Until next time ^___^

No comments:

Post a Comment