Thursday, November 3, 2011

You paid how much?!

I love Victorian fashion and usually browse through eBay to see what books are out there on the subject. I ran across an auction for Fancy Dresses Described by Ardern Holt, a costume book from 1887.



While this book has some lovely illustrations, I wasn't going to bid on it, but I decided to watch to see how high the bid would go before closing.

Click here.

Do you know what a chromolithograph is? Anyone? Would I pay that much for a later edition of a book with 16 chromolithographs? No, and you want to know why? First of all, if you read the entry for this auction, there is NO description of the book's condition at all, only a few photos.

Second, as any good book nerd knows, you MUST research the book you want. See what else is out there! I found several copies of the book from the same publication year that were selling for anywhere from $20 and up. You can get a 'print on demand' reproduction of the book if you were looking to use the book as reference material or buy the real thing ranging from earlier editions, the 1887 editions, or later editions.

Third, a chromolithograph is NOT a lithograph. Yes, there is a lot of work involved in making chromolithographs, but the quality is not the same as an original handcolored lithograph. If you had showed me the same book in the first edition that was published using lithographs instead of chromolithographs, I might have been more interested. As it is, I'll take a reproduction copy for research instead.

Until next time ^_____^

1 comment:

  1. Wow...those are elaborate costumes! It reminds me of all those costume contests I read about in my books. :) And thanks for the tips on antique book buying...I really didn't know. :)

    ReplyDelete