Sunday, September 25, 2011

A taste of fall

Good afternoon! With cupcakes and the start of the fall season on my mind, I decided to try a new cupcake recipe that I found in Taste of Home's Ultimate Halloween magazine. Pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting is the name of these cupcakes and it doesn't really do them justice; I think perhaps they should be called something like 'taste of fall' cupcakes or 'pumpkin spice delight' cupcakes. The recipe for these cupcakes was submitted to the magazine from a lady in Colorado and combines all the flavors of fall spices and pumpkin.


Freshly baked cupcakes without the frosting

My family and I tried the cupcakes without the frosting to begin with since you have to wait until they completely cool before adding the frosting to them. They are quite delicious without the frosting. They remind me of tiny pumpkin breads.


Cupcakes with frosting

I decided to get creative with the decorating using my sister's star tip. I only got so many of the cupcakes decorated with the star tip as my hand was about to fall off from the pain of holding the pastry bag and nervousness. (My aunt says that my hand shouldn't have hurt at all and that I was holding the pastry bag incorrectly. Thanks for the tip!) I decorated the rest of the cupcakes with the star tip in a swirl pattern or the normal way by coating the top of the cupcake with frosting using a knife :)


Side view of cupcakes with Halloween themed cupcake liners

I went by Target earlier this morning to get the necessary ingredients and spices. Sadly, they only had two types of cupcake liners in their Halloween section, the polka dots and the skull pattern. I'm not sure how they think that polka dots are Halloween or fall-themed, but they'll do.

I hope you are enjoying the start of fall with baking, stitching, etc. ^___^

Until next time ^___^

1 comment:

  1. Those look really really yummy! I am debating on baking but with so much other stuff to do...it has sadly been stuck to the back burner. I would love to make some kind of loaf. Like a coffee bread or nut loaf. Those are so yummy. And then add honey butter..drool...but I must cut down on carbs! :(

    Do you guys have any of those stand alone Halloween stores that pop up only at this time? We have a bunch. I wish you were here to go shopping with me. :)

    Please let me know what you think of the Fall brooch I am trying to make. :) Thank you for all your comments! I love reading them as much as I love reading your blog! :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete