Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bento Box!

I’ve been quite forgetful lately about posting about things I wanted to share with everyone! Before Christmas, I had bought several bento boxes for my friends as part of a Japanese-themed gift for each of them. While doing so I purchased a cute bento box set that is decorated with pink strawberries! The set came with a two-tiered bento, a single bento, a cup, a fork and holder, a set of chopsticks, and an onigiri box!


LOL I’ve used everything in the set so far except for the cup, chopsticks and onigiri box. The cup is quite cute, but I couldn’t imagine using it at work while eating lunch?! I can use chopsticks, but when I do so I concentrate too much on using them and eat rather slowly. I’ve been using my bento boxes to carry my lunch to work, which has usually been salad, a variety of veggies, or tuna.

I haven’t had an opportunity to make any rice balls. I think I might purchase some rice molds online eventually. I realize that making rice balls by hand isn’t that hard, but I’m a disaster in the kitchen unless I’m baking so any extra help, like rice molds, is much appreciated!!! I’ve seen some good recipes online for fillings to place inside the rice balls.

If I’m not mistaken, onigiri is made with a type of rice called sticky rice, which is also used in sushi. If you are a bit hesitant about trying sushi because you don’t like the idea of consuming raw meat, you can always try the vegetarian types. I love vegetarian sushi since I am one of those people who are hesitant about raw meat. While I was in Egham, the local Tesco store sold packages of vegetarian sushi for 99p. Yummy!

Speaking of sushi, sticky rice, and the like, I read an article online that said that the Japanese actually have something called rice burgers! Sounds yummy, doesn’t it? Especially with lots of vegetable toppings!

While writing this post, I was trying to think of a word and checked Merriam-Webster’s website. They have a wonderful feature called an ‘open dictionary’ where you can submit your own words. I quite like the word that was featured today:

forgetful speech syndrome (noun) : the time when you think of something to add to your conversation, but the person you're having a conversation with is talking so much that by the time you get to speak, you completely forgot what you were going to say.
"Stop talking or I'll forget what I was going to say. You know I have forgetful speech syndrome!"


LOL I am guilty of the ‘forgetful speech syndrome,’ especially when my sister and I start talking! I definitely think this noun should be submitted into the English dictionary for the sheer fact that everyone has had this happen to them at one time or another!

Have a great rest of the week ^____^

1 comment:

  1. Oh!Lovely lunch box!
    "Bento" is Japanese.Where are you know?Do you intersting Japan?

    ReplyDelete