Monday, August 1, 2016

Mechacon 2016

Hi, everyone! My sister and I attended Mechacon in New Orleans over the weekend. We were in the artists' alley. Friday morning started off on the hectic side, my sister accidentally set her alarm clock to PM instead of AM and was rushing around trying to get ready and get out the door. We got to New Orleans shortly after 9am, which gave us about 40 minutes or so to set up our table before the alley opened at 10am.

While we were setting up our table, we were running purely on adrenaline. I am amazed when I see people set up after 10am. It would make me a nervous wreck. As it is, my sister and I suffer from 'last name syndrome', which means we are usually always early to any event/appointment, etc. so setting up so close to 10am was crazy.

We were staying in the host hotel, the Hilton Riverwalk. Our friends had a lovely view from their room.


My sister and I, on the other hand, were in one of the older sections of the hotel so our room was facing a courtyard......

Friday night, we mall crawled at the Riverwalk Outlet mall. I spent $45 in chocolate at the Lindt store (O_o"). They had a new flavor, pumpkin spice Lindt chocolate balls. They are to die for!! I asked the cashier if they were going to have the flavor in the stores for the fall season. He said he thought perhaps they would since it wasn't an exclusive flavor to their stores. I really, really hope so!

After mall crawling, we went to Mother's for dinner. Their bread pudding is AMAZING! I could have eaten it instead of dinner.




On Saturday night, while my sister and our friends went to Harrah's, I attended a Japanese rock concert by the band, Kazha. They were a great group. The best part was when they did an American cover song, Journey's Don't Stop Believing. Everyone in the crowd was singing along with them. Nothing like a Journey song to get the crowd involved in a concert. LOL

On Sunday, we closed up early and drove over to Magazine Street for lunch at Dat Dog, antique shopping, and dessert at Sucre.



I had the devil's food cake at Sucre. It was good with thin layer of chocolate surrounded the cake. I also bought their iced dark chocolate drink, but it wasn't good, which was sad. I was disappointed in Sucre's assortment of desserts, usually they have an entire case full of desserts, but they only had three desserts and a bunch of cakes for sale.

I'm not sure why their selection was so low, especially since they were open until 10pm. If you are open that late that case should be full all the time!

While going through the antique shop next door to Sucre, I saw some lovely old samplers. A sampler on perforated paper and an embroidered sampler from 1827.



I purchased a New England cookbook from 1936. I can't wait to browse the dessert section!!

We had so many people come by our table and talk about how they knew how to crochet and/or knit. It was great to talk to them. The only people I know in my life that knit or crochet are my aunt and a girl in my office. Otherwise, I never people hear people talk about that type of crafting so it was refreshing to talk to people about crochet.

I want to thank everyone who came by my table and bought something. My favorite customers were a young guy who bought my bunny sundae amigurumi. I was so happy that he bought it because no one looked at it last year and it's been in my Etsy shop forever.

The other customer we loved was a young girl who bought one of my amigurumi bats for her stepmother. She told us that her stepmother works to rehabilitate injured bats and baby bats. She even showed us pictures of the baby bats. They are so tiny!

Special shout out to the guy dressed as Deadpool who bought my Deadpool amigurumi. My sister said he was going around the convention with my amigurumi on his belt and posing for pictures. LOL

Also a shout out to the guy who bought my Clara amigurumi. We chatted for a while about Princess Jellyfish and how we hope they give it a second season, but you never know with slice of life genre series.

Overall, we had a great time in New Orleans. We couldn't have asked for better weather. The temps were amazing for summer in New Orleans, which usually is ungodly. The food was great and the convention was fun. Hopefully we will be able to go again next year in their new venue, Hyatt Recency.

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment