Thursday, February 5, 2015

Little Sheep Amigurumi - Chinese New Year

Since this year is the Chinese Year of the Sheep, I decided to make Amanda a sheep amigurumi. After looking online for a cute freebie, I settled for Momomints' sheep pattern because it was tiny, fluffy, and cute.

Pattern: Sheep freebie by Momomints
Yarn: Bernat Pipsqueak whitey white
Hook: size H 
Notions: 6mm safety eyes and light brown and pink felt
Start/Finish: 1/11/2015

This was the first time I had used Bernat pipsqueak yarn and while I will say it is very soft, it is a beast to crochet with. With this type of yarn, you have to 'feel' your stitches as you cannot see each stitch because of the fluffy fibers in the yarn. I would not recommend this yarn to a beginner at all.

I was surprised that I was able to stitch the body of the sheep as I was tempted to give up several times in frustration. I stitched up the feet and started on the face area. For some reason no matter how many times I stitched the face (even with different hook sizes), it didn't look right at all. So I improvised and made the face and the ears out of felt and left off the feet. I think my little sheep turned out fine with my changes though I wish I had been able to use Momomints' pattern completely as it was cute.

I don't think I will give up on using Bernat pipsqueak yarn as it gives a great texture to amigurumi, but I will choose my patterns wisely as I don't think I could crochet anything large with the yarn for fear of missing stitches, etc. 0_0

Until next time >___<


1 comment:

  1. Wait a second. I am in the year of the sheep too! Where is my sheep?

    ReplyDelete