Wednesday, February 4, 2015

January Recap

Recap:

Read:
1. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
2. Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz
3. Lafcadio Hearn's Japan ed. by Donald Richie
4. Fire Storm by Andrew Lane
5. Snake Bite by Andrew Lane
6. The Worst Witch to the Rescue by Jill Murphy
7. A Drunken Dream by Moto Hagio
8. Clover by Clamp
9. The Yellow Rose by Yoshiya Nobuko
10. Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
11. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Stitched:
1. Sheep zodiac design
2. Crab zodiac design

Crafts:
1. Sushi roll amigurumi
2. Dango amigurumi
3. Strawberry cake amigurumi
4. Heart brooches
5. Mini ice cream amigurumi
6. Sheep amigurumi

Lots of books and crafting last month. I think the only book I was disappointed in was Clare's City of Bones, which I could not get my head around. The characters were not personable at all. I think perhaps it was because I had read her Victorian Clockwork series first and loved it and the coarseness of the characters in the modern day series ruined any thoughts of continuing to read the series.

I was surprised by Anthony Horowitz' Moriarty novel. I wasn't impressed by the first book, House of Silk, that he had wrote for the Doyle estate as I felt that the theme of the book was something that Doyle would never have wrote or even contemplated considering Victorian values, etc.

But I was impressed by this newest novel, which is a page turner until the end. Horowitz makes you forget who the book is focused on from the beginning despite yourself and by the time you get to climax of the book, you are screaming at the book....possibly threatening to disturb your neighbors with your book reading woes.

In terms of crafting, I stitched a lot of amigurumis and a few small cross stitch designs. I think this month I want to see if I can stitch up one of Country Cottage Needleworks cottage cake designs :)

Besides crafting and reading last month, we had sad news that our great-aunt Ruby had passed away earlier in the month. My family and I went up to Uriah for the funeral. Despite the sad news, it was also a joyous occasion as our great-aunt missed her husband greatly after his passing a few years ago. I am sure she is happy to be reunited with him once again.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment