Sunday, July 24, 2011

A lesson in baking



Looks lovely doesn't it? I decided to make some blueberry cobbler after finding a recipe for it in a Williams-Sonoma book from the library. I took it out of the oven and let it cool, impatient to dig in and try it. With my first spoonful I noticed the strangest taste.

I grabbed another bowlful and headed to my aunt's house for her advice. She noticed what was wrong immediately: too much baking powder, which gave the biscuits a metallic taste. Silly me, I put 1-1/2 tablespoons of baking powder in the dough mix instead of 1-1/2 teaspoons. Well, that's a lesson learned for sure. Always, always check your measurements!

While I'm sure the recipe would have turned out great if I hadn't used so much baking powder, I wasn't a fan of the cinnamon in the blueberries. I think I'll try another blueberry recipe next weekend.

In other news, I finally found a pastry brush at Wal-mart. I don't shop there, but figured I'd check their kitchen supplies before making a trip across the bay to Williams-Sonoma to get the brush I needed. Apparently, they have every gadget you can think of including a neat little silicone mat to measure the diameter of your pie crust when you are rolling out dough. Note to Target, please extend your kitchen supply section! Thanks :)

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment