Saturday, April 9, 2011

Book Adventure

Good morning! My aunt and I woke up early this morning to head downtown to the MPL's annual book sale. It was my aunt's first time going to the book sale and she was amazed by the amount of people there and the variety of books available. Books and other materials range from $0.50-$3.00 with special prices for encyclopedia books and older books. All the money goes to the local libraries.

My aunt came away with several biographies, sewing books, and a plethora of Debbie Macomber's books.

You might have already guessed what I came away with.



From bottom to top:
1. Sherlock Holmes in London
2. A Sherlock Holmes Companion
3. Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
4. The Cosmopolitan Volume XVII, bound volume of issues May 1894 - Oct 1894
5. The Cosmopolitan Volume XVIII, bound volume of issues January 1895 - May 1895
6. The Cosmopolitan Volume XIX, bound volume of issues May 1895 - October 1895
7. Twilight Sleep by Edith Wharton, published by Appleton, 1927
8. Black Butler manga Volume III

All the hardcover books were a dollar and the paperbacks were 50 cents so I came away with eight books for $7.50. Not bad at all :)

With my love of Sherlock Holmes, you knew I would hunt out books on the series. I can't wait to read the Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, which has 40 complete stories from contemporaries of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who wrote crime stories in rival magazines of The Strand.

The Cosmopolitan was a magazine published in 1886 by Schlicht & Field as a family magazine. It transformed into a literary magazine and then finally into the modern day Cosmopolitan (or Cosmo) magazine that we see today on newsstands. Imagine my surprise to see three bound volumes from 1894 to 1895 for sale! I was hoping to find more of them at the sale, but I looked everywhere and didn't see any. I love the inscription on the front cover of each volume from a mother to her daughter in 1908. I can't wait to read through the volumes and see all the beautiful pictures and advertisements of America's Victorian period. ^____^

The MPL hosts their annual sales twice a year, once in the spring and then again in the winter. It is a good place to find used books, ranging from discarded library books to books donated to the library for the sale. If you get a chance to go by and browse, it is well worth it and helps support the MPL too.

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment