Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ah, the coming of Fall and antiquing :)

Hi, everyone!! Fall, as I've said before, is my favorite time of year. LOL I think it has something to do with my nerd-ish heart and the notion of going off to school! (Sigh) I miss school!! ^__^ The mornings have started to get just a tiny bit of nip to them so I was inspired to stitch something fall-ish in honor of the season!!


I started on Thursday to stitch the JBW design Pumpkin! You notice I have one of my fobs from Yuko already in use!! I just want to thank Yuko again because it is sooo much easier to keep up with my scissors when they are attached to this fob :)


Design: JBW Designs, 'French Country IV - Pumpkin'
Thread: DMC 4124, variegated
Fabric: 28 ct Cashel antique white Zweigart
Finished: 9/18 and 9/19/08


The design called for DMC #3826, but I used #4124 partly because I was lazy and didn't want to run to Hobby Lobby and buy the recommended thread color and I had picked up the #3826 color earlier when I first got my JBW designs in the mail. I thought it would look nice for a pumpkin since it reminds me of Halloween :)

Since I finished stitching this design last night, I had time to do something else fun today! My sister and I went to our local Abba Temple to antique. My sister rarely gets to antique with my mother and I because she usually works on the weekends. Today was a fun experience for her, LOL, though she seemed a bit overwhelmed with all the different things to look at.

While at the antique show, I bought several new brooches! LOL You knew I would!! I can't resist brooches....they are becoming my second downfall next to my obsession with books ^_^"

Isn't it pretty and petite? Filagree leaves, a stem, and a lovely flower with white rhinestones surrounding a purple stone at the top :) LOL The stem reminds me of pumpkins for some reason!

A unique brooch containing dried flowers and leaves! I love the border around the edge with the four leaves. While I was picking this brooch out along with the others, the vendor was talking to a friend of hers about brooches. She called them, little 'pieces of art' that you can wear. I quite agree!! I love wearing them to work ^___^

A neat sword brooch!!! It is adorned with five faux pearls. LOL When my mother saw this brooch she said, "But you don't like pearls!" Pearls aren't my favorite despite the fact that they are my 'birthstone.' For June, the birthstone can either be pearls or alexandrite. I love alexandrite, but you hardly ever see it....and if you do find a jeweler who sells it....you're paying practically a car payment to get one!!!

So Glittery with all those red rhinestones!! Next to my cameos, this one might be my second favorite in my growing collection of brooches. The little 'petals' around the center remind me of tiny royal crowns :) (Sigh) This brooch would look lovely with a cream-colored scarf!! LOL I never thought I would say (or write) this, but I can't wait for Monday so I can wear these new brooches. I think I'm going to wear this one first :)

In addition to antiquing, I took a pic of this nice stitched piece by my friend Kristina. She and I used to work at the same bookstore.


She stitched this Asian cross stitch design for me as a gift for starting my new job :) I don't remember what the characters on this design mean....I think she said it was for good luck....but I will have to ask her and let you know :)

Before I forget, I promised everyone that I would scan the mini-article out of the 1899 Ladies' Home Journal about the pincushions/emeries!!


Bachelor pincushion?!

Apparently, men were neater with their possessions then nowadays!! This is a neat article. Who would have thought that strawberry pincushions would have been used by men to keep their pins? (sigh) Makes you long for the past and all the fashionable clothing that was commonplace. It seems to me that our time period has no defining style like other eras.....it makes me sad in a way. LOL That's the historian in me talking :) Darn history degree!!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Happy stitching!!

1 comment:

  1. Love love love all your new pins Bunny. Don't feel bad about liking the designs from the past. I do too. But that is what makes the present so much fun. We get to hunt for all that neat stuff in antique shops from the past. I am so glad that Baby went with you yesterday and got to experience the hunt for all those treasures from the past!

    ReplyDelete