Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More books and an eagerly awaited magazine!!

LOL I told you that books were the bane of every bookseller. Well, two were calling to me at work today. (sigh) For me, books are little temptresses....completely devilish and full of charm....I can't ignore them.

(sigh)


They followed me home, I swear ^ - ^"

I recently saw a neat idea on a cross stitcher's blog where they were reading 10 of their favorite childhood books over again. What a marvelous idea! So I picked up Jane Eyre as my first book. I loved this book when I read it in middle school and thought I'd pick it up again. And by the way, if you haven't seen the latest movie version by the BBC.....I recommend watching it. It's a very good adaptation while making it a bit more racy for today's audiences....perhaps to draw people back into the classics.

Today I also got two books in the store that I ordered. I read one of them on my break because it was actually quite short, but good nevertheless. The book I read on my break was called Editha's Burglar by Frances Hodgson Burnett. She is by far one of my favorite childhood authors. I read The Secret Garden and A Little Princess at least twenty or more times when I was growing up. I think I probably fell in love with England while reading those books and listening to The Nutcracker on my cassette player :)

Editha's Burglar was a small children's book that Frances Burnett wrote in 1888. It was less than sixty pages since there were some illustrations in the book. The plot was adorable to say the least. A girl named Editha is described as an oddity, mostly because she doesn't have any friends her own age and she is constantly reading. She reads about burglars one day in the local newspaper and soon meets one in her home at night. She pursuades the burglar to take her possessions instead of her father's or mother's because it would upset them. The burglar does just that and leaves, but later as he sits in jail he summons her. He gives back her possessions and at the end of the story leaves her a box with a beautiful silver watch because she was so nice to him when he was 'burgling' her house.

It was a sweet story. I recommend anyone who loves Frances Burnett's books to pick it up at your local library if they have it. It's a quick read and quite enjoyable.

I didn't buy it since I read it so quickly. I would have, but sadly the copy the bookstore sent from their warehouse was dirty :( But I did buy the other one that I ordered by the same author. It's called The Lost Prince of Samavia and was published in 1915. I can't wait to start reading that one after I finish Totto-chan and Jane Eyre. LOL I've got to stop buying books......sigh....but it's pretty much pointless. I'm a certified bookworm. I swear it's an addictive. I blame my mom for instilling the love of reading in my sister and I so early in life :)



On to other news, the Just Cross Stitch Aug '08 magazine finally came on the bookstore's truck yesterday so I grabbed a copy as soon as I got to work this morning. I can't wait to get started on two of the ornaments in this issue. I love Sue Hillis' design. I'm going to start that one either tonight or tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have the recommended 25 ct linen for it so I'm going with 32 ct antique white linen. And somehow, out of all the Q-snaps I have....I don't have the 6 inch one!!! (Sigh) So I'll have to stitch this ornament up on a hoop, which isn't a bad thing....I think I just got spoiled with the Q-snaps. They hold quite well compared to your everyday embroidery hoops.

The other design I want to make is the one by Country Cottage Needleworks. I think it is adorable, but I might change the colors a bit :)

The best news about this issue of Just Cross Stitch is the fact that since they put out the Christmas preview early....we get more Halloween stuff in the October issue. They are going to put out a selection of Halloween-themed ornaments. (sigh) I can hardly wait for it! The fall is my favorite time of the year :)

Thanks for visiting my blog, happy stitching ^__^

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the Christmas x-stitch on the front cover when you finish stitching this beautiful red on white design. As far as blaming your Mom for your love of reading, I can't think of anything more wonderful than to accuse a parent for your "love of reading". I think she would take that as a compliment. Snowbird is now remembering those Saturday's when your Mom was with two young girls going to the library to search out more books to read or returning others. Keep reading and stitching Bunny!

    ReplyDelete