Tuesday, June 24, 2008

B's for Tuesday....

A) Books
B) Blog
C) Biscornu

Since I had the day off I thought I'd catch up on some b's for the day such as reading a book I borrowed from work, write a bit on my blog, and show everyone a biscornu that I made a while ago in March ;)

To be honest, I was watching tv earlier today. Somehow I ended up watching The Mummy, which I've seen before, but not in a long time. I think someone told me at work that there is another one coming out. How many sequels can they make with this movie? Admittedly, I never read Anne Rice's book that accompanies the movie so I'm not too sure on the plot and if the sequel to The Mummy is another story line in the book. I'm surprised I've never read that book of hers, I read all the others in the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair Witches series. Hmmm.....if someone out in blogger-land recommends it, I just might pick it up ^__^

So after watching that movie, I pulled out the book I borrowed from work yesterday. I was determined to finish it so I could return it tomorrow....I wasn't too thrilled with my selection. I just happened to see it as I was wandering the stacks on Monday and picked it up since I'd read the previous books in the series. Queen of Babble Gets Hitched by Meg Cabot...hmm......what can I say.

Nothing really. It seemed to have the same plot as all her other series regardless of whether they are in adult fiction or teen fiction. Girl falls for boy, obstacles to overcome, happy ending...end of story. I won't complain too much because I know how Meg Cabot writes, but I think I got my hopes up for a little bit more. I gotta find something different out there in the endlessness that is book world to read.

I do have another book picked out to read....LOL from my towering stack of books at home (bane of every bookseller)!!! It's called Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi. I'm enjoying it so far. It is basically the recollections of the author when she was a kid growing up in WWII. I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves anything to do with Japanese culture. It makes me miss my Asian history courses I took as an undergrad.

Up next in my list of b's besides writing on this blog is the biscornu that I made in March.


Design: Thistle & Clover biscornu
28 ct antique white linen
DMC 823
Start: March 11th
Finish: March 14th

One of the best things about working in a bookstore is the fact that once in a while you'll get some magazines that come in early. That was the case with this biscornu design in the May issue of Cross-stitch & Needlework. They had several articles on new needlework techniques and I had seen biscornu projects on other blogs so I had to buy the magazine for their design by Jennifer Mitchell. Of course, her design was completed on 28 ct Tile Blue Jazlyn by Zweigart with ecru thread, but I decided on antique white 28 ct linen and royal blue thread. My choice of linen and thread color were mostly due to the fact that the closest LNS are about an hour and half away :( So I have to make do with Hobby Lobby's selection ^__^'

I think my biscornu come out alright for a first-timer with this finish. It's a bit lop-sided only because I backstitched around the edges too much!! LOL The magazine said to avoid that, but I didn't think it would be much of an issue....I was wrong. But I like my biscornu, I would definitely attempt this finish again. Despite it being lop-sided, I brought it to work with me to show it off. LOL If that's not a cross stitch geek than I don't know what is ;)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

1 comment:

  1. I think your biscornu is pretty good for your first attempt! At least that is what your greatest cross stitching fan thinks!

    ReplyDelete