Sunday, October 26, 2014

Bookish Weekend

Good evening! I spent yesterday morning at Springhill College's Book Nook browsing their stacks. I came away with some neat finds.

It was a gorgeous day with cool and sunny weather. I couldn't help but stop and take a photo of their chapel before heading to the bookstore.

I found a three books, one of which I can't show because it will be part of a Christmas gift.

As always when I visit a used bookstore, I check their mythology/fairy tale and antique book sections first before browsing the rest of the store.

I found a lovely edition of Augusta Evans Wilson's St. Elmo that is an illustrated edition for theater patrons that was published by Hurst & Co. in 1910. I think my favorite photogravures in the book are those featuring the backdrops of the stage and the ending image with the kissing scene between St. Elmo and Edna, which is also featured on the front cover of the book.

The second book was an Illustrated Junior Library Grimm's Fairy Tales that was illustrated by Fritz Kredel in 1973 and published by Grosset & Dunlap. Kredel was a German artist (1900-1973) who illustrated several hundred books during his career including other fairy tale titles and Eleanor Roosevelt's Christmas.

I love the illustrations in the book. I immediately looked to see if Snow White was listed in the book and skipped over to the end of the story to see what version they used. I was impressed to see that they actually went with the 'dancing in iron shoes' ending. Definitely no need to keep the darkness of the fairy tale away from children in the 1970s.

Yet again, if you haven't been to The Book Nook, I urge you to. You'll never know what you'll find!

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment