Sunday, September 27, 2009

Modern uses of Renaissance art

I had some time to pass this morning while waiting for Office Max to open so I decided to wander around Target. Who would have thought that I would be giggling in the Halloween decor section?

One of my favorite portraits by Bronzino has been made into a 3D animated lenticular where the portrait changes into a demon, etc. when moved back and forth.


Eleonora di Toledo and Her Son Giovanni de' Medici by Anglo Bronzino, Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence

I was hoping that Target had an image of it on their website, but they don't! They do have two others for sale, a portrait of Queen Elizabeth and (I can't remember who it is) John Randolph or Sir Francis Drake.

Sometimes I find it highly amusing when I see the way art is used today. I wonder what Bronzino would have thought of his portrait being used as a Halloween decoration? Or the Medici family? I'm sure their political rivals would have found them appropriate depictions as demons.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment