Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Yay! Domesticity!!!

My aunt wrote on her blog that she found The Gentle Art of Domesticity at our local bookstore over the weekend!! I was going to wait until after TS Fay decided to meander away from us before attempting to go out and buy the book, but fortunately we didn't get much from the storm and I drove immediately to the store and bought my copy ;)



I read half the book when I got home. I love the stories Jane Brocket shares with us about domesiticity. I agree with her point that domesticity isn't something that women should be ashamed of. As a daughter of a somewhat feminist upbringing, domesticity wasn't looked down upon by my mother or grandmother. I remember one summer as a child, my grandmother helped me make a little purple skirt for one of my stuffed animals. LOL Sadly, I don't remember how she or I did it :( But it was a nice memory!

And my grandmother's cooking is fantastic!! Nothing envokes memories of summers past like blueberry cobbler with fruit from our bushes in the backyard! Or being warmed up by a nice bowl of chili with home-grown tomatoes during the winter! (Sigh) ^__^ Oh, and chocolate chip cookies! I loved it when my mom would make cookies for my sister and I. Of course, they were just your plain old Toll House cookies, but they were simply divine to our taste buds!

For the last couple of years, my family gets together before Christmas and bakes several different types of cookies or other yummies. We send them out in several tins for our family in Michigan to enjoy. To me, it's more satisfying to give a gift that way. Whether it's baking, sewing, cross-stitching, etc. the gift is more valued because it is homemade.

So ladies and gentlemen, domesticity isn't something to fear! It isn't staying at home all day, slaving away in the kitchen, and meeting your spouse at the door wearing 1950s splendor. It's the everyday things that make you happy! Cooking, baking, organizing/cleaning, sewing, knitting, cross-stitching, among other skills are beautiful! Don't ever be ashamed of being 'domesticated'!!! Be a domestic diva ;)

Congrats to Jane Brocket for a lovely book! (She has a recipe for flapjacks! I loved eating those while in England!) She's a Royal Holloway-er too!!! YAY!!! I'm jealous; she got a MA in Victorian Art and Literature!

So please go out and buy the book! You won't be disappointed ^___^

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you like this book Bunny. It is a great read and good ideas as well.

    ReplyDelete