Saturday, April 5, 2014

Skoshbox April 2014




I recently saw a video on youtube by SharlainJapan. She did a review of something called a skoshbox. After watching it, I knew I had to subscribe to this subscription box company. Each month you get a box full of a variety of Japanese snacks/sweets.

I brought it with me to work for my coworkers and I to try. My coworker, Jeff, used to live in Japan as a child so I knew I had an ally in my love of trying Japanese snacks/sweets.

My first reaction? I love the packaging of the Skoshbox. Everything is neatly arranged in tissue paper with a notecard detailing the package's contents.

Favorites: (in order)

1. Obachan's Pota Pota Yaki (sweet shoyu baked senbei): a rice cracker that is faintly sweet! Perfect when you are craving a little sweetness.

2. Harvest Baked Biscuit: this package came with one of two flavors, burnt caramel or chocolate. We received the burnt caramel, which was quite yummy. Yet again, just a slight sweetness flavor. Not overpowering at all.

3. Strawberry Pocky: just plain old strawberry pocky! Always a favorite.

4. Aero green tea and strawberry mini bars: I had Aero bars when I was in England for grad school. At that time, they didn't sell them in the US and the only flavors were chocolate related. It was a treat to try these two new flavors of Aero.

5. Elise Wafer Stick: A strawberry white choco filled wafer stick. Light and sweet.

6. Milk Country Candy: creamy milk hard candy. I've had these before as our local Asian markets carry them in abundance!


The Questionable: (in order)

1. Mentaiko Umaibo Stick (puffed corn cod roe flavor): Now I know that sounds quite strange and a little alarming, but actually it wasn't bad at all. For some weird reason, this snack tasted to me and my coworkers like a large Andy's hot fry. Do you guys know about those chip snacks? Well, this mentaiko stick tasted like that. Makes me wonder what ingredients are in Andy's hot fries!??!?

2. Cheese Okaki Crackers (senbei with cheese topping): not my favorite. The cracker reminded me of the crackers you get in Asian party mixes, but topped with processed cheese. I've never ever liked Asian party mixes, I don't like the texture of the crackers/snacks so this okaki cracker wasn't my cup of tea.


Dislikes:

1. Matcha Kitkat: this surprised me because I've started to like green tea flavored snacks as evident by the fact that I inhaled the green tea Pocky that Amanda sent me for the Chinese New Year. Despite that, I didn't like these kitkats. I think it was because the kitkat had small granules of green tea in the candy. It made for an odd texture that I didn't care for.

Thoughts: All in all, I'm glad I subscribed to Skoshbox. It definitely satisfies my love of Japanese snacks/sweets as my local Asian markets only have the standards such as Pocky, biscuits, or jellies.

Until next time ^____^

No comments:

Post a Comment