Saturday, May 16, 2009

Garden goodies

Hi, everyone! It's been a while since my last post. As you may know if you've read my aunt's blog that our grandmother passed away last week. It was quite sudden and unexpected. I thought I'd post something that she would have liked: pictures of the garden that we started in her backyard in April.

My sister had planted some strawberry plants in one of the pots on the front porch! I had 'stole' this one off yesterday :) I'm having visions of strawberry shortcake, preserves and jam! Hopefully we get enough this year to freeze a bag or two!



My mother jokes about the pot that has the strawberry plants because it's been around since the 80's, but I think it's doing a great job of holding our strawberries! My mom, aunt, and I went by Lowe's today and picked another pot for some more strawberry plants. I just got finished planting those so I hope they do well.

In the garden in the backyard we planted all sorts of veggies. Everything seems to be doing well expect for my lettuce and cabbage, which have been attacked by bugs O_o" Grrr!! Besides that we have blue lake green beans growing along with some carrots, squash, corn, pumpkins, and lots of tomatoes!

When I was at Target earlier in April I decided to pick up some corn plants. LOL It was just an experiment, I wasn't at all sure that they would do well, but I am quite surprised how they have grown. I have two corn plants growing :)






My sister's tomato plants! These are her beefeater tomotoes! WOW! I'm still convinced that she sings to them, they are quite well taken care of :) My sister has gone to Birmingham for the weekend to visit some friends and she took one or two tomatoes that were ripe and a few strawberries to share!





She even has one that is becoming ripe! I can't wait to taste it. You can't beat home-grown tomatoes! It makes me miss my grandmother's canned tomatoes when we were kids. She would always make chili with those canned tomatoes, which was great in the winter when you wanted some warm for dinner.

Cherry tomatoes. Yummy! I love these little tomatoes in salads :) This morning I actually picked a few off the vine that were getting ripe.





Yummy! I can't wait to eat these....I really don't want to share ;) You know what's really good, a sandwich with cheese, mayo, and tomatoes! LOL The Tesco stores in England always had those sandwiches in their deli section....talk about addicting!




One last photo of the hydrangeas on the side of the house! Aren't they lovely?! It makes me miss walking past all the little gardens in Egham's subdivision behind Royal Holloway :) The British definitely know how to make a small space look amazing with their landscaping!

I'm sure our grandmother would be proud of our garden! Hopefully, I'll have more pictures to show later on during the summer of our produce.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Bunny I think your Grandmother would be so proud of your garden. In fact, I know she is more than proud. It was something to sit with your Grandmother (my Mom) and watch you, Baby and your Mom prepare the garden for all of your plants. Those are moments that I won't forget. Yep Grandma's chili was great with homegrown tomatoes. The future is to keep the garden and the flowers garden. That is something your Grandmother loved to do when she was able. I know you miss her.

    ReplyDelete