Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Baking - Star Wars Sugar Cookies



Earlier this month, Think Geek had a great sale, I ended up buying a set of Star Wars cookie cutters to try out. Last Sunday, I used a store bought cookie mix, but despite chilling the dough, I could never get the dough to the right consistency to roll out for the cookie cutters. I ended up making regular sugar cookies from the mix instead.

This weekend I decided to try again with a homemade cookie dough. Last night I made the dough and put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight. This morning I got up and thawed the dough for a bit before rolling out the dough.

I experimented with different baking temperatures in between batches. I have always heard that when living in the South, you have to lower your oven temperature by 25° when baking. While doing some online research last night, I ran across several websites that mentioned that cookbooks are written for normal sea level altitudes and that the only time you should change the recipe is if you live in a high altitude of 3,000 feet and above.

With that in mind, I baked the cookies at 350° for 8 minutes and they came out nice and soft with the edges slightly turning brown. When I baked them for 9 minutes, the cookies came out too brown. Baking at 325° meant that I had to bake them for 13 minutes, which didn't give them brown edges, but yielded a soft cookie.

I'm not sure if I am on the right track with changing the baking temperature. I will have to try other baking recipes to see if 25° lower or the recommended temperature is better.

I will say that I recommend the sugar cookie recipe I tried. I used Stephanie's recipe from the Joy of Baking website.

I think I will make these cookies again later this year when Star Wars Rogue One comes out in theaters. I know my fellow geeky coworkers will love them.

Until next time >___<

P.S. I didn't add the sugar to the tops of the cookies so they aren't too sweet. Perfect as a compliment to a cup of Ceylon tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment