Saturday, January 10, 2009

Semmes branch - Mobile Public Library

A dreary day of rain to go and see such a welcome sight to the town of Semmes. After 20+ years of going to the Moorer/Springhill library branch and others in Mobile, the residents of Semmes finally have a library branch of our own to browse and frequent!

I woke up early this morning to make my way to the new Semmes branch of Mobile's public library. Despite the dismal rainy weather, I couldn't help but grin in a goofy sort of way when I drove by the library, making my way into their parking lot. A large sign on the side of the building with the lovely words "Mobile Public Library - Semmes Branch" greeted me and the twenty other patrons and their children waiting for the library to open this morning. For many of the smaller children, this would be the first time they had ever gotten a library card. For some of the older children (10-11 year olds), it would be the first time they would get a library card to check out books that didn't belong to their school libraries. As the librarian volunteer for the day greeted us at the door, she talked to our small crowd and asked who had library cards, only a few children had them.

"Will you be signing up for one today?" That question was answered by a chorus of children screaming 'Yes!' Through I was sadden by the fact that so many parents had not thought much of getting their children a library card before now, I was glad that at least they had showed up today to sign up their children.

As I've mentioned before, my mother signed up my sister and I when we were pretty young. We would frequent the Moorer/Springhill branch in Mobile every other Saturday to get armfuls of books to carry home and devour. Honestly, I don't know how our mother kept up with all of our books without incuring a million library fees for late books that were buried in the chairs and couch in our home!

To know that children were getting a chance to enter new worlds through books today was uplifting for a community that had refused a library branch in their town because it wasn't needed. As I stood in line to check out my books, every patron walked up to the librarian who was checking them out and exclaimed, "Thank you for opening this branch!" I did the same as the library's manager checked my books out. A lady behind me in line said that many people protested against a library in Semmes. It is a happy thought that other people in our community realized the need for a library for the enjoyment of the community and the education of hundreds of children going to school in the area.



Even though the library is a bit small, I'm glad it is part of Semmes' community, especially since we have four public schools around the area who need something to supplement their own libraries for their students. The library building is actually a refurbished old Wal-greens building so it is a little bit bigger than the public library in Egham, Surrey where I sought refuge in while researching for my thesis when I couldn't think in the crowded study areas of Royal Holloway's libraries.

The selection was small, but the surprise was the fact that the library was allowed to buy all new books!!! As a book nerd, new books are lovely, even if I miss the musty smell of old ones :) Hopefully over time, the library will be able to expand their collection and the library if need be ^___^

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a good book--old or new! I too like libraries. My earliest memories was not of going to the library, but the bookmobile coming to our subdivision. It was a real treat. I too hope everyone in our area will support the local library.

    ReplyDelete